RWS Entertainment Group is a full service, worldwide production company that provides the very best in custom design as well as pre-packaged events and live shows for corporations, theme parks, cruise ships, resorts, and the fashion industry. Established in 2003, RWS Entertainment Group was built from the ground up through the dedication and devotion of a hard-working team. We have experienced continued growth embracing our mission, Raise Your Experience.
RWS Entertainment Group is currently seeking a Technical Director to serve as technical leadership for multiple projects spanning entertainment markets such as corporate events, theme parks, cruise ships, holiday décor installations, immersive experiences, as well as other projects within the company.
Reporting to the Director, Technical Services, the ideal candidate will be responsible to oversee, educate, and guide project teams in supporting all technical aspects of the production process. This role is part administrative, part hands-on, and will lead in-house and contracted technical staff to manage the details needed to ensure the successful and safe development, installation, operation, and strike of performance productions and experiential activations.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Ensure all technical aspects of the production work smoothly, efficiently, and safely
- Provide organization and synthesis of technical/artistic information between the production divisions within RWS as well as clients and vendors.
- Ensure all work is compliant with safety regulations as outlined by OSHA, ANSI, and all local, state, federal, and international governing bodies (as applicable).
- Facilitate and/or assist in the bid process for all technical equipment and services.
- Provide comprehensive technical quote estimates for total cost within project timeline
- Provide onsite supervision, leadership, and instruction to execute installations in accordance with designer’s vision and safe working practices as needed
- Generate technical manuals, guidelines, installation/operation instructions, and as-built documentation for use by internal and external parties.
- Resolve operational issues through coordination with RWS staff, contractors, clients, and on-site staff.
- Manage projects within budget, partnering with Project Managers on proper allocations
- Translate the designer’s CAD drawings into working construction drafting for bids and builds as necessary, maintaining the integrity of the designer’s vision and proper safety standards throughout this process.
- Manage project technical teams (in-house and contracted) by providing support, feedback, and clear communication to ensure project needs meet expectations, timelines, and budgets.
- Acquire and demonstrate awareness of both RWS’ and the venue’s safety procedures including Emergency Action Plans, PPE Requirements, Lock-out Tag-out Procedures, and additional protocols.
- Troubleshoot and provide assessment for all aspects of technical production including, but not limited to, lighting, audio, video, projection, special effects, pneumatics, heavy and simple machinery, power tools, and similar.
- Lead a technical handoff of assigned projects to train venue management and technical staff in the proper execution, maintenance, and operation of the Experience once installed.
- Continually assess project and resource requirements. Provide suggestions to best utilize available resources and/or procure additional support as needed.
- Ensure all production technical elements are performance-ready and meet the RWS Standard by final dress rehearsal, walk-through, or given deadline.
- Assist with overall production needs as reasonably requested.
Please Note: While this is an accurate and comprehensive description of the role, the above Roles & Responsibilities are not an exhaustive list of all duties, skills, efforts, requirements or working conditions associated with the position, and may require additional tasks be performed as assigned.
- Four-year degree in Technical Theatre or equivalent experience required.
- 5+ years of experience in the technical entertainment and live event production industry with a minimum of 2 years specific focus on experiential installs and events.
- Minimum of 2 years of supervisory experience required.
- OSHA, IVES, First Aid, and additional entertainment certifications a strong plus.
- ETCP certified individuals highly encouraged to apply.
- Advanced knowledge and experience drafting in Vectorworks.
- Proficiency in MS Office and iWork applications
- Proven experience in training, supervision, and mentorship of crews with varying levels of skill across all phases of production.
- An extensive knowledge of safe construction and rigging practices in the theatrical and event production field
- Knowledge of all technical elements associated with commercial and theatrical lighting, audio, and video production systems and installation.
- Knowledge of holiday lighting products, installation techniques, hardware specifications, and experience with low-voltage systems and installation.
- Experience building/maintaining budgets and cost estimates
- Expertise with power tools, ladders, heavy machinery, aerial work platforms, electricity, and all applicable OSHA and ANSI standards.
- Proven technical and mechanical skills, including experience with metal working, rigging, scenic construction techniques, and standard materials used in the entertainment and construction industries.
- Familiarity with pneumatics, automation systems, and portable power distribution.
- Experience creating technical drawings, two and three-dimensional drafting models, and instruction/operation manuals for users with various levels of technical understanding.
- Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to quickly develop trusting, productive relationships with clients, vendors, staff, and all partners.
- The ability to negotiate with vendors and discover creative solutions to keep projects on target and within budget parameters.
- Valid driver’s license and current passport required.
- Self-motivation with the ability to work independently.
- Comfortability operating heavy equipment and hand tools while onsite, as well as standing for long periods of time, but often kneeling, bending, laying down, and working at heights over 100 feet.
- Attention to detail- please type "Blue Iguana" in the "what makes you unique" section of this application so we know you read this job listing.
- Ability to travel up to 50% of the year, both domestically and internationally
A valid passport for the duration of employment for all travel-related roles. Proof of vaccination against COVID-19 (or proof of exemption) will be required.
- Progressive PTO, CitiBike membership, Commuter benefits, Health benefits - Medical, Dental, and Vision, Pet-friendly office, Paid parental leave, 401k with company match, Employee Enrichment Program, complimentary tickets to Broadway/Off Broadway shows and industry events as available, Summer Fridays
Estimated Start Date: ASAP
Reports to: Director, Technical Services
Status: Mobile or Remote
- Mobile (in NY/NJ/CT Metro Area): Team members who are pre-approved to regularly perform their job responsibilities remotely up to two (2) days per week, with three (3) days per week operating out of the RWS New York City headquarters.
- Remote (outside of NY/NJ/CT Metro Area): Team members who are pre-approved to work remotely on a regular basis.
Salary: $60,000 annual exempt salary
Diversity and Inclusion Statement
At RWS Entertainment Group, our team of bold makers and mold breakers is made of a diverse group of people who we believe make our work stronger. Our stage actively chooses to uplift applicants with diverse racial, ethnic, and religious backgrounds, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions, sexes, national origins, political affiliations, socio-economic status, veteran and Disability status, and other intersectional dimensions of diversity.
We believe the diversity of our people is the most valuable asset we have. The collective sum of the individual differences, life experiences, knowledge, inventiveness, innovation, self-expression, unique capabilities, and talent that our employees invest in their work represents a significant part of not only our culture, but our company’s achievement as well.
We are committed to ongoing learning and developing and implementing programs and initiatives to promote diversity and inclusion in all areas of employment as well as through our creative process and projects.
Get in Touch!
Please submit at this link via JazzHR